As I continue to research my inherited trait of High Sensitivity, I am understanding the basic information about it at a much deeper level. And the more I learn, the more I see roots of my work with dreams in the very basic structure of my nervous system. I was bound for dream work because, it turns out that
high sensitivity naturally produces a dreamer’s mind
This major Aha! dawned on me this morning in the shower, thinking over the content I’ve been learning in Maria Hill’s The Emerging Sensitive and in Dr. Elaine Aron’s The Highly Sensitive Person in Love.
You see, HSP’s are naturally programmed to~
- Notice subtle differences (though we do not notice them on a conscious level- this sometimes emerges as intuition, or knowing without knowing how we know),
- Absorb content emotionally (causing our emotional highs and lows to be more significant and a deeper felt experience),
- Sort information more deeply (into more and different/creative categories),
- Pause and reflect before acting (this draws out our decision making into a longer, more in-depth process),
- Summarize all that information into a bigger expanded lesson (this makes our decision making faster the next time we encounter some similar circumstances)
All of these factors also occur in the dreaming brain!
Our dreams are highly creative expressions of subtle details, taken from daily life, thoughtfully pulled together to surround certain emotional spikes, in order to condense information overload into life lessons.
HSP’s are not all bound for dream work. I know plenty of highly sensitive people who have zero interest in dreams or in any facet of inner work. And not all people who are into inner, reflective dream work are highly sensitive either. I am quite certain that many of my peers, while sensitive in their own right, do not consider themselves to have the highly sensitive genes. But for me, there exists a genetic component to my work as a dream expert. That’s kind of a big deal 🙂 I do feel like an expert in the field of dreams and I can claim that for myself knowing that I am wired to see more naturally through that lens. I am no guru and I will not tell you what your dream means for you; but I will welcome you home to the world of your interior landscape.
I will go with you into your inner life and I will show you how you might navigate it and survey the land and learn from the world of dreams.
Because dreams naturally produce a landscape containing~
- strangely subtle details,
- active high seas of emotion,
- all sorts of creative illogical combinations,
- invitations to pause in awe and wonder
- patterns and rhythms that hint at a broader understanding and purpose to it all
Exploring dreams IS exploring what it means to be highly sensitive. And I just thought you might want to know.
I will be presenting a 90 minute workshop on this topic at the Haden Institute’s Summer Dream & Spirituality Conference. If you want to know more, please grab your spot and join me there! I would also encourage you to subscribe to my newsletter to know more about where I will be when. I would LOVE to meet you and talk more about HSP-ing or dream-ing or both!